24.1.11

The Duke would be proud

As Lee mentioned, we get three healthy and delicious meals each weekday. I'd like to add, however, that the Howard penchant for sugar and artificial flavour continues to reign triumphant over a well-balanced diet. Those Twizzlers you see in the photo above were off the shelf and in my basket faster than you can say "sweet tooth." My glee could only have been greater if they were black, but even the cherry flavour was rapidly consumed with mindless joy. All 396 grams were gone by the end of True Grit. That little girl's fortitude was nothing compared to the gumption I showed in demolishing that licorice. In my defense, this was the first time I've seen Twizzlers in Asia, so I was eating enough to make up for a few years without.

By the way, I have seen very few Westerns but have never enjoyed one until now. I guess the combination of Matt Damon, the Coen brothers, and a female protagonist overpowered my usual boredom with the genre. I'd suggest they give that youngster an Oscar if I hadn't already seen Natalie Portman in Black Swan. I thought she was fantastic. As you can tell, living in the language school bubble has left us with time to catch up on our movie watching. We'll be leaving next Sunday, but hope to find time for Howl and Blue Valentine before we go.

No comments: